Christchurch Botanic Gardens
Christchurch Botanic Gardens are one of the most versatile photography locations in Christchurch.
With the different types of backdrops that come with the changing seasons, the Botanic Gardens is our go to location when we can not decide on a shooting location.
We love the vast range of options with our favourites being:
• Central location and is easy to get to
• Long narrow walking paths
• Tall thick green vegetation
• Man made features like arch ways and bridges
• The water fountain
• The ginormous trees which provide beautiful textured backgrounds. Some of these large trees have over hanging branches which provide staggering and are ideal for posing large groups of people.
• Tonnes of open space
• Trees that are lined up
• In fall/autumn, there are lots of spots to shoot portraits against autumn colour backgrounds
The versatility of the Christchurch Botanic Gardens means you can likely find an area in the gardens that suits the type of look you are after in your photographs.
We have shot weddings, engagement shoots, model portfolios, portraits and each shoot has come out different from the others.
The other great thing about the Botanic Gardens is that there is plenty of natural light lit areas to work with giving you different lighting options to pick from.
The ones that are popular with us are the open shade areas.
Permits and Approval
As much as people just walk in and photograph weddings and other types of shoots, approval from the Christchurch City Council is required to photograph in the Botanic Gardens.
Although this mainly applies to commercial photography, wedding photography and filming, it may also apply to other forms of photography depending on the scale of the shoot.
If Council approval is required for a shoot, the letter is to be carried by the photographer at all times during the shoot.
Another thing to note is that there are areas that are off-limits for photographs.
More information is available on the Christchurch City Council website.