Raining! 10 Tips if today is your wedding day and its raining
Wedding day rain!!!! The wedding day is perhaps a day which is made in heaven. Nevertheless, if there is some interruption at your wedding or wedding party due to rain, you have to take steps to ensure that the rain should not dampen your spirit on this special day.
The wedding is all about love, fun and joy, now who said that rain cannot be joyful.
It’s the way we look at it that makes the difference. In most movies, there are romantic scenes shot in the rain and they are some of the most romantic scene in these movie. Now what can be more romantic than a wedding on a raining day? You do not need to be a photographer to look at things differently. However, a photographer could certainly give you more options to view things in a unique manner. The rain is not always as bad as we think it to be when it comes to weddings. For instance, a raining day gives the couple a chance to take a lot of cool and moody photos making their wedding photos unique. It is a crazy moment that can have a lot of heart and soul to it.
The wedding days and venues are decided much in advance. Hence, there is no way by which reading weather reports and long range weather forecasts would help. Thus the only option is to pick a wedding date, times, type of wedding (indoor or outdoor) and roll with it, and wait to see what the day brings to the party. With all that said and done. You still need to have options in place as a form of insurance for those what if moments. Like, what if its raining? What if it too hot? What if we run out of beers and drinks?
Especially for those preferring an outdoor wedding or garden wedding ceremony, it’s always handy to have a backup plan just in case it rains, not that the backup plan has to be indoors but can be a simple solution of having umbrella on stand for the guests and bridal party. Not everybody likes the idea of having fun or being in the rain. Thus there needs to be precautions for the same.
Wedding day rain guide-lines to help you
- Check if the wedding venue offers you an alternative option in case its raining on the day of the wedding. Usually most wedding venues offer such an alternative option if you ask. Make sure the option has adequate natural or artificial lighting as this will help both the Photographer with the photography and your guests to see the happenings of the occasion.
- See, that the garden would not become muddy if its raining. Usually the mud creates a lot of problems. On the other hand if you are set on the location and you know there is high potential of rain and mud forming. Encourage your guests to bring gumboots on the day just incase, you could even ask them to bring certain colours of gumboots and have fun showing them off for photos. Guests who have been given advance warning and inforamtion are more likely to come more prepared and as a result are highly likely to go with the follow and make the day even more enjoyable for you and everyone.
- You will have a rough idea of the wedding location better than any body else at the wedding, you picked the location….. Do let your guests know other things to bring like warm clothes if the area is know to cool down during the evenings. Warm guest will focus more on the fun than trying to keep themselves warm.
- Avoid keeping the food outside if you can help it, as it becomes very difficult to shift the food and saves the food from sudden down pours of rain.
- When it comes to bridal party photos, then umbrellas are the best backup plan. This is were you can get creative as a bride and buy or hire some cute umbrellas either to go with your colour scheme or to complement it. On the other hand if it does not rain, you can still use the umbrellas in your photos. Gumboots can also come in handy and can also be used as props during the bridal party pictures.
Be brave go with the flow and have fun
- The rain can be used to get some amazing and creative looking photos which can be used by you or your photographer to close off your wedding album, like the photographs below.
- As much as it is more normal to try and stay out of the rain on your wedding day, the rain can give a nice background for the pictures as well. When used creatively the rainy weather has the potential of giving you the most amazing wedding photos you will live to cherish for a life time.
- If you have made a raining day backup plan. Be sure to share it with wedding photographer/s and other service providers at your wedding. If everyone is on the same page, it makes it easier to spring in to action without having to wait to be told what to do and hence saves on time.
- In the event that you do not fancy getting photos taken in the rain, don’t stress. Group photo can be done indoors. Most wedding photographers will assist in finding an alternative room or location that will be able to house the size of groups you have on your photo list and take each group into the room and work through the list.The same can be done for bridal party photos. Your wedding photographer should be able to find a shaded areas to get your photographs taken in. The other option is to use the accommodation the bride and groom will be spending their wedding night at for the bridal party photos. Most accommodation venues will be happy to facilitate this with you or the photographer. One more option is to try and pre-orgaise before the wedding day with a motel/hotel to be a able to get your photos taken there in the event that its is rain on the day of your wedding. Some locations are amazing and the resulting photos can look like they are from a high end wedding magazine. The motel/hotel would be happy to assist especially if you promise to give them some photos to use for their advertising in exchange to using their venue for wedding photos.
- Be flexible with time. Things may need to be moved around and guest move form here to there to get shelter or dry themselves or get a change of clothes, which may end up eating into the time of the scheduled events, so being flexible with time will ensure that you are not stressed about the time and you can get on enjoying your special day.
Wedding photographers are not at your wedding just to click the camera shutter. They become part of the entire wedding ceremony and event. The photographers are there to help you see the brighter side of things and make every one of your wedding day moments to be fun and happy ones.
To finish off this article. When you meet with your potential wedding photographers, be sure to ask them questions pertaining to rain on your wedding day. Different photographers put different measures in place and some wedding photographers will not shoot in the rain or when its raining.
I don’t know wether to say fortunately or unfortunately, we have not had to deal with a raining day wedding, but if we have to, we know we have measures in place and it always good to prepare for the worst case scenario. Here are some examples of of wedding photos taken by other photographers on a raining day. Photo 1, Photo 2, Photo 3, Photo 4, Photo 5.